Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Hello East Africa

I decided to end 2016 in a new place.
قررت ان ٢٠١٦ راح تخلص وأنا في مكان جديد.
Why the sudden plan to go there?
I have promised my dad that I will be going with him to Somaliland someday soon. I wanted to see the city where my parents were born & lived before they moved to Saudi. As 2016 was coming to an end I started to think: if not now,then when?
One of my cousins Ali, was having his wedding there late Dec. PERFECT!! So I told my parents that if they were going I'd tag along. On one condition though: that they tell no one of my arrival!!! I had 2 reasons for that; one, that I wanted to surprise my cousins, in a good way. Two was self-serving: just incase I changed my mind last minute! My "one-foot-out-the-door" syndrome.  
ليش فجأة قررت أروح؟

أنا وعدت أبوي إنني راح أروح معاه لصوماليلاند قريب. كنت أبغى أزور المدينة اللي انولدوا فيها أهلي وعاشوا قبل لا ينقلون للسعودية. ٢٠١٦ قربت تنتهي وفكرت: اذا مو الحين، أجل متى؟

واحد من عيال خالاتي، علي، قرر انه يسوي عرسه هناك في أخر ديسمبر. حلو!!! فقلت لأهلي اني رايحة معاهم اذا هم رايحين. بس بشرط انه ما يقولون لأحد اني جاية!!! كان عندي سببين: الاول، اني ابي افاجئ ولد خالتي. والثاني خاص فيني: اذا صار وغيرت رأي أخر لحظة! عندي حالة اسمها"خط رجعة لأي موقف".
We took Fly Dubai, which leaves Dubai around 4am. That wasn't in my favor cause I'm not one to sleep on the day of a trip. By the time we went to the airport, I've already been up for almost 18hrs.  Fast forward 5 hrs later (1hr delay due to the foggy weather) we land in Hargeisa's newly established airport. One word: It's Small.
أخذنا طيران فلاي دبي، اللي تطلع من دبي على ٤ص. ما كان هذا في صالحي لأني اليوم اللي يكون عندي سفرة ما أقدر أنام. لما وصلنا المطار كان صار لي تقريباً ١٨ساعة صاحية. بعد ٥ ساعات (لأن الرحلة تأخرت ساعة بسبب الضباب) نزلنا في مطار هرجيسا الجديد. كلمة واحدة توصفه: صغير.   
Moving on we get into the cars and leave the airport heading to our Hotel. On the way you get to see most of the city. First thing you have to prepare yourself for is that there are some roads in the city only they are full of potholes. Outside those it's all dirt and rocks. So if you are someone who suffers from motion sickness, pop your meds.  No seatbelt will stop you from turning into a salt shaker!
ركبنا السيارة وطلعنا من المطار رايحين للفندق. في الطريق تشوف أغلب المدينة. أول شي تجهز نفسك له هو ان البلد فيها كم طريق أسفلت بس كلها حفر.وبرا هذي الطرق كله تراب وحجر. فاذا انت شخص عندك مشكلة من الطريق وتاخذ علاج، فخذه. الحزام ماراح يمسكك، وراح تنرج رج ماله حل!
Second thing you will notice is that half the population of the city is goats!! They are everywhere! And a few donkeys here and there still bringing some people water like they used to back in the day. Looking out the window, the state of the city saddened me. It felt left behind, chaotic and more like a random collection of homes, buildings and shacks. It lacked the feeling of a community! I always felt blessed, but driving through all that I felt it even more...
الملاحظة الثانية هي ان نصف سكان المدينة ماعز! في كل مكان تلقاهم! وكم حمار هنا وهناك يستخدمونهم في نقل المويه بين بعض الأماكن زي أيام أول. وأنا أناظر من الشباك وضع المدينة حزنني. حسيت انها منسية، حوسة وعبارة عن مجموعة بيوت، مباني وكشكات عشوائية. كان ناقصها احساس انه مجتمع! انا دائماً أحمد ربي على نعمه بس واحنا قاعدين نسوق حسيت بحجم النعمة اللي ربي عطاها لنا...
As we reached the Hotel, and into our rooms the sadness turned into anger. This is a hotel that was built by people who have lived abroad and were well off,  but when it came to their hotel couldn't be bothered to do it well! The words maintenance or efficiency weren't part of their vocab!! I'm then told it's one of the best in the city! I won't mention its name for hopes they will take our comments and make some changes to it in the near future.
With a heavy heart I decided to take a shower and take a nap, for everything was looking gloomier by the minute I add to my 24hrs awake state. After 3hrs I was awoken by loud voices (a common thing in Hargeisa, people don't talk, they shout! Nothing alarming though, except for us newcomers!) I sat there cursing and trying to figure out what to do!! I remembered one of my friends saying that she was excited to see Somaliland the way I see it. So I decided from then onwards, I was going to look for the beauty in the middle of this chaos and disorder. Luckily I had great company of cousins that were excited for me to see just that.
وصلنا الفندق ولغرفنا وتحول الحزن الى زعل. هذا الفندق بناه ناس عايشين برا البلاد ووضعهم المادي مرة زين بس لما جاء الموضوع لانهم يبنون شي في البلد ما سووه بطريقة صحيحة. مو عن جهل بس عن لا مبالاة! وهذا هو من أفضل الفنادق في البلد! ماراح اذكر اسمهم عسى يأخذون  نصايحنا ويعدلون المكان. 
دخلت غرفتي وقررت اني أتحمم وانام لأن الوضع كل ماله يسوء بنظر شخص صار له ٢٤ ساعة صاحي. كملت ٣ساعات نوم وأقوم على أصوات عالية ( هذا شي عادي في هرجيسا، الناس ما تتكلم، تصارخ. واحنا نحسبه هواش لاننا مو متعودين). جلست مع نفسي وحاولت أقرر ايش أسوي؟! تذكرت واحدة من صحباتي تقول لي انها متحمسة تشوف هرجيسا من منظوري الشخصي. فقررت انه هذا اللي راح أسويه من الان ورايح، راح أدور عن الزين اللي في وسط هذي المعمعة. والحمد لله ان كان عندي عيال خالة متحمسين يوروني هذا الجزء.

 What kept popping everywhere I went is the people's love for expressing themselves using color and illustrations. Some people like Hargeisa by night. I liked it better by day because I could better see how people were fighting to overcome their situation. The saddest shack was transformed into a canvas with all their illustrations and colors. Which is what was lacking at the best hotel we were staying at.

في كل مكان تلاقي حب الناس للتعبير عن نفسهم باستخدام الألوان والرسومات. في ناس تعجبهم هرجيسا بالليل. بس أنا حبيتها في النهار، لانك وقتها تقدر تشوف كيف الناس  تتغلب على وضعها. أسوأ كشك يحولونه الا لوحة باستخدام الألوان والرسومات. وهذا الحس كان مفقود من أحسن فندق اللي كنا ساكنين فيه.

 

My 1st day there, I was invited to dinner at one of Hargeisa's must see restaurants: Cafe Lalays. Its owner turned her parent's 2 story house into a restaurant that has both indoor seatings as well as one at the rooftop. She provides warm blanks for those who choose to sit on the rooftop, which is what we did.
آنعزمت أول يوم للعشاء في واحد من الأماكن اللي لازم تنراح في هرجيسا: كافيه لاليس. صاحبته حولت بيت أهلها المكون من دورين لمطعم فيه جلستين، واحدة داخلية وجلسة خارجية على السطح. ولأن الجو يبرد بالليل في السطح فأضافت بطانيات للي حابب يجلس هناك ، وهذا اللي سويناه. 

The next night we went for a private bridal shower that was hosted at Royal Lounge. It was really fun and the best thing was we got introduced to the bride Fatima, her sister Safia and her cousins. A great idea so that come wedding night we are all at ease and enjoying the night. Side note; the restaurant has great food, and private rooms where you can host your own gatherings. 
 الليلة اللي بعدها كانت عزيمة البنات وكانت في مطعم رويال لاونج. كانت الفكرة اننا نتعرف فيها على بعض قبل العرس وحوسته وتعرفنا على العروس فاطمة واختها صفية وبنات عمها. مرة الفكرة حلوة، ومنها يمونون كل اهل العرس على بعض. بالنسبة للمطعم أكله زين وعنده غرف يقدر الواحد يسوي فيه أي عزيمة. 
There was a traditional night planned for us at Hiddo Dhawr Tourism Village. You get to have dinner and watch a music band perform live in a big hut. A must see at least once.
وكانوا مرتبين طلعة تقليدية في  قرية هِدوا دور السياحية. تقدرون تتعشون وتتفرجون على فرقة تعزف أغاني تقليدية داخل خيمة مرة كبيرة. لازم ينراح له لو مرة.
Note; the music is old school. The most entertaining part for me was the guy that comes on stage and starts acting out the lyrics of the song. It was like subtitles for me. I don't know why but it's hard for me to catch the words with the beat but he made it easier for me to guess them lol.
ملاحظة: الأغاني تعتبر قديمة. بس اللي كان يونس هو انه كان في رجال على المسرح يمثل لنا كلمات الأغنية. كأنه يدبج لي لأن ما أقدر ألقط الكلمات في الأغاني ما أدري ليش، مع اللحن تضيع مني الكلمة. بس منه قدرت أحزرهم ههه.

New Year's Eve we went to my favorite restaurant in all of Hargeisa: Sultan. This is a place who's owner has paid attention to a lot of details. A side from the decor & the food, they have the best latte in the city so far. A lot of places do serve lattes, don't get me wrong, but no one does it as well as Sultan's.
ليلة رأس السنة طلعنا تعشينا في واحد من المطاعم المفضلة عندي في هرجيسا: سلطان. باين ان صاحب المطعم شخص يهتم بالتفاصيل. غير الديكور المرتب والأكل الزين، عندهم أحسن لاتيه في البلد. كثير أماكن يسون لاتيه، لا تحسبون مافي، بس هو الوحيد اللي يضبطه.
So far most of my outings have been to dinners, but we were invited to Lunch at Lake Assal, named after the lake in Dijbouti. The 1st place that I've seen use flowers from their own garden to decorate their tables. I just had to take a picture of that.
الى الآن كانت أغلب طلعاتنا عشوات،بس انعزمنا على غداء في ليك أصل مسمينها على بحيرة في جيبوتي. أول مكان أشوفه يستخدم ورد من مزرعته يزين فيها الطاولة. فكان لازم اصور هذي النقطة. 

Craving dessert? Ice cream to be exact? There is a place called Creams which recently opened in the city. They have a good range of flavors as well as topping.
مشتهيين حلى؟ بالذات آيس كريم؟ في محل اسمه كريمز توه فاتح في البلد. عندهم مجموعة كويسة من النكهات وكمان اضافات.
We were told by our tour guid for the day, Hodhan, that by not seeing the city from the top we where missing out. She lead the way to the highest part of Hargeisa: Masalah.
طلع في مكان ما كنا نعرف عنه وقالت لنا عنه هُوظن، دليلنا السياحي لليوم، ما ينفع اننا نفوته. أخذتنا لمكان الواحد يشوف منه المدينة كلها: مصلا.

All in all it was a great experience that I've enjoyed very much, thanks to all my family who were there and took part in showing me around, especially Ali. 
I didn't plan to blog about this trip. I was going to only cover it through my instagram & Snapchat. But while I was there the statement "You should blog about this" was mention to me a few times. I wasn't sure how to though. Was I to mention only the best parts, or the experience in whole?
Hargeisa and Somaliland in general have come along way, no denying that. It has a lot of potential yet so many dots are not connected, and I wanted to help it in the one way I know how and that is to blog about it. The rest of the world may not know of its existence even. I hope I've helped shed a light on a part of Somaliland better than that of which you see in the media.
But I owe you my readers the truth though, so when you go there you have an idea of what to expect. One thing is for sure,whatever you see and go through will make for great memories and greater stories. 
I know a few people who have reached out through my social media accounts that were excited to visit the city. So to those who do visit, I say enjoy it to the max and do share with us your stories. 
بشكل عام التجربة كانت رهيبة ومرة انبسطت فيها، وهذا لأن الفضل يرجع لكل أهلي اللي كانوا هناك ووروني المكان، خاصة علي الله يسعده. 

ما كنت ناوية أدون عن هذي الرحلة. بس كنت راح أغطيها في الانستقرام والسناپ. بس وأنا هناك انقال لي " لازم تكتبين عن تجربتك في مدونتك" في أكثر من مناسبة. بس ما كنت متأكدة كيف. هل أكتب بس عن الأشياء الزينة ولا عن التجربة ككل؟
هرجيسا وصوماليلاند بشكل عام  جداً تطورا، ما ننكر هذا الشي. فيهم إمكانيات كبيرة وكثير نقط ممكن تتغطى. وودي أساعد بالطريقة اللي أعرفها وهي اني أكتب عنها. باقي العالم ما يعرف انهم موجودين أصلاً. فأتمنى انني أكون عرفتكم عليها بشكل أحسن من اللي تسمعون عنه في الاعلام.بس كان لازم أكون صريحة مع اللي راح يروح لأول مرة منكم، عشان تكون عندكم فكرة ايش راح تلاقون. بس تأكدوا انه مهما شفتم ومهما صار معاكم راح يكون لكم ذكريات رهيبة وقصص عظيمة. 

أعرف كم شخص تواصلوا معاي وقتها على وسائل التواصل الاجتماعي تحمسوا انهم يروحون لها. فللي رايحين انبسطوا وشاركونا قصصكم.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts on this

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...